Friday, March 6, 2009

Oh, Sweet Dough, Why Do You Tempt Me?


One of the most significant structures on the side of town where I work is the Krispy Kreme Doughnut Manufacturing plant. Not a store with a little red light in the window. The PLANT where they fry ‘em, box ‘em, and distribute them to the grocery stores. And the smell settles over this part of town like a sweet fog of sin. The other most significant structure on this side of town: a wastewater treatment plant. So, it’s kind of a toss up what will be wafting through the air when I leave work.

Lucky for me, the wastewater treatment plant only reeks when it’s humid out. This time of year in Charlotte, the air is still dry as we begin to emerge from the winter months. So, yesterday when I left work on my bike, I was smelling sin. I found it highly distracting. The pictures of warm, melt-in-your-mouth dough began invading my mind. My stomach growled as I passed right in front of the plant on East Blvd. I turned my head and looked at it longingly. I imagine I felt the same way Charlie did as he stood outside of Willy Wonka’s Factory. I wondered if perhaps they had a river of icing. I pictured myself sitting in a grassy field of green sprinkles snacking on a doughnut hole daffodil or a jelly-filled toad stool.

I was brought back to reality by a city bus accelerating past me only to cut me off and slam on her brakes coming to a complete stop to let some passengers off. I stared at the “Share the Road” sign on the back of the bus and thought, “Yeah, share the road my ass, jerk-off.” I wondered if the bus driver even remembered WHY those signs were put on their vehicles. It was only a few years ago that a bus turned in front of a cyclist and killed him. But, I digress.

The smell of Krispy Kreme had really affected my stomach; as in I couldn’t get my mind off my hunger. No amount of Clif Bar product was gonna satisfy me. I had to get home and eat before I raided the doughnut factory. I cut my ride to 2 hours and headed home for a proper, albeit not sinfully delicious, dinner.

No comments: