Monday, November 10, 2008

Mental Block Party

Now that the stitches are out and the contusions have been reduced to bearable, it’s time to look ahead to my return to racing. Physically, I’ll be ok. In a few weeks I’ll be back to the fitness level I was at the time of the crash. No big deal. I wasn’t all that fit anyway. The bigger barrier to jump over is the mental game my brain will play with me.

That game is this: you go on 1000 rides without mishap. You crash once. That becomes the one and only ride your brain will remember. And it will make unending attempts at convincing your body that you will now crash each and every time you head out on the road (or trail).

Getting over that mental block is serious business. If you can’t move on, you’re likely to start riding and racing with intrepedation, which will, in turn, lead to more crashes. So, it’s time for me to saddle up and hit the gravel road… figuratively, though. Not literally this time.

No comments: