Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Hero Ain't Nothin' but a...Drug Trafficker?

Missy “The Missile” Giove hasn’t made headlines in the cycling world since the mid and late 90’s when she was dominating the World downhill mountain bike scene. As a young cyclist just getting into mountain biking back then, I identified with her and she quickly became a hero of mine. She remains so to this day.

So imagine my excitement when my ex- Sister in Law called me from Suffolk, Va., to inform me that Missy Giove came to speak in my niece’s Women’s History class and that she lived in town. Next thing I know, I’m invited to a cookout that Missy Giove is invited to as well. I am beside myself with excitement. That BBQ is to take place in a couple of weeks.


Missy, having been retired from cycling for several years now, has drifted into anonymity with regards to cycling news… until this morning. I start every day with my daily check of cycling news websites. I opened Velonews.com this morning and the word “Giove” instantly caught my eye on the homepage. But, it wasn’t good. She had been arrested with 2 others in New York transporting 400 pounds of marijuana. Maximum penalty: 40 years. Minimum: 10.


I’m so pissed. Does this mean she can’t make it to the BBQ?


One more thing, quickly. Apparently one of the DEA agents was testing lines for Law and Order when he allegedly, knowing her Championship background, felt the need to insert himself in a move of classlessness by stating, “drug trafficking can lead you downhill fast.”


*Cue theme music …roll the credits…and, fade to black*

2 comments:

Melina said...

Maybe she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time? The arrest process is funny like that; EVERYone at a scene is scooped up regardless of their participation. With no history (I don't think) of this, it seems really out of character to go from zero to 400 pounds, you know? So save some hero worship for later, when she makes bail, makes the BBQ, and can explain. :-)

Jodi Winterton said...

The DEA tracked the whole transport. According to reports - she drove the truck to an accomplices home where she dropped off some of the weed and then continued on until the police pulled over the truck. I'm only pissed that she may not make the BBQ. She's still my hero. I think the bail arraignment is today.