Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Giro d’whaddayacallit?

When I’m not on my bike, I’m a Broadcast Engineer… which means I do a lot of stuff pertaining to all aspects of television. When I heard news of Universal Sports providing live coverage of the Giro d’Italia for the first time ever in North America, I was giddy like a child hearing the bells of the ice cream truck. The coverage is not available in Charlotte, though. Not on Time Warner. Not on Dish. Not on DirecTV. Not a problem, I’m a Broadcast Engineer.

Theoretically, since I work for an NBC affiliate and Universal Sports is an NBC company, all I should have to do is call up my good buddies at Skypath and get the downlink frequency for the coverage. I’ll then be free to watch the race at work (while working, of course). Theoretically.

Skypath is basically a company made up of the guys and gals at 30 Rock that keep track of all of NBC’s (and its companies) satellite feeds. So, presumably, they should know where I can find Universal Sports Giro coverage. Presumably. Here’s more or less how the convo went:

“Skypath, this is Eric.”

“Hi Eric this is Jodi Winterton at WCNC –TV in Charlotte, NC. How are you?”

“I’m great, how are you?”

“Wonderful. Hey listen, I’m looking for the coordinates for Universal Sports Giro d’Italia coverage.”

“The what?”

“The Giro d’Italia.”

Silence.

“It’s a huge bike race in Italy.”

“Never heard of it. I don’t see a downlink for a Giro day…whatever you called it. Hang on let me try BOC…*pause, phone rings*…Hi BOC, this is Eric. I have an affiliate with a question. Go ahead WCNC.”

“I’m trying to find the downlink frequency for Universal Sports coverage of the Giro d’Italia.”

“Is that the swimming thing with Michael Phelps?”

“No, it’s a professional bike race in Italy – the Giro d’Italia.”

“The Giro what?”

“It’s the Tour of Italy – it’s one of the biggest bike races in the world and Universal Sports is covering it – I just need the coordinates for Universal Sports…”

“I don’t see anything for a bike race…just this swimming thing. Hang on let me try the Traffic department. They should know…*pause, phone rings*…Hi Traffic, this is BOC. I have an affiliate with a question. Go ahead WCNC.”

“Universal Sports is covering the Giro d’Italia at 8:45 this morning and for the duration of the race. Can you give me the satellite coordinates, please?”

“The Giro d’what?”

Repeat same conversation 3 more times and I still don’t have the downlink frequency *sigh*.

1 comment:

Jodi Winterton said...

FOUND IT! For anyone who cares, it's on AMC1 KU19 Slot E.