Friday, May 1, 2009

What Is 300 Miles?


300 miles is my goal for the 24 Hours of Booty. I will be on a 3 mile loop the whole time, but if I were released from the circle, where could I go?


From my home in Charlotte I could:

- Go to my parents’ house in Cary and back (288 miles).
- Visit my niece and nephew in Suffolk, Va. (304 miles)
- Visit my buddy in Atlanta and go up to Dahlonega for some wine tasting (294 miles).
- Ride to Charleston for the Sailboat Races and then head to Savannah for a ride on a river boat (314 miles).
- Watch a women’s soccer game at my Alma Mater, UNC-Asheville and return home (262 miles).
- Take a ride on the Chattanooga Choo-Choo (311 miles).
- Kayak the Gauley and New Rivers in Charleston, WV (294 miles).
- See the beautiful Luray Caverns in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia (317 miles).
- Get a Herring and Roe dinner ($7) on the Roanoke River at the Cypress Grill in Jamesville (280).


300 miles is also:


- 482.7 kilometers
- Approximately half of the Pacific Coast Highway (325 miles).
- The first 4 Stages of this year’s Tour de France (268 miles).
- The length of the Florida Keys…3 times (299 miles).
- The shoreline of Puerto Rico (311 miles).
- The height of the Space Shuttle when it’s orbiting Earth (~300 miles).
- The range of a Tesla Model S on one $4 charge (and 0-60 in 5.9, not bad).
- The length of Lake Michigan (307 miles).
- The distance ran by Pam Reed in 80 hours in 2005.

Or I could just ride 100 laps of the Booty Loop to raise money for cancer research and survivorship. You can help. Donate here.

No comments: